baslinux - [BL] scsi pcmcia in BL3.40 - module missing?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] scsi pcmcia in BL3.40 - module missing?
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 12:50:47 +0000 (UTC)

I was given a scsi pcmcia card (and cable) that supposedly requires either
aha152x_cs.o or sym53c500_cs.o, depending if it is older or not so old (or
if it is 'new' it won't work at all in linux). New Media kept changing
chips, similarly to Linksys.

pcmcia in BL3.40 detected but did not recognize the 'unsupported' card when I added card and device lines for aha152x_cs to /etc/pcmcia/config, and downloaded Steven's module.

I could not find the sym53 module at the BL modules site - did I miss
it somehow? I only looked under /pcmcia.

I tried pointing pcmcia at that module hoping it would recognize the card and tell me the module was missing, but still 'unsupported card'. Someone got a response from it, probably with Windows.

I found a 1999 posting from someone who had the module.

I tried

Card "New Media Bus Toaster SCSI"
and "Noteworthy Bus Toaster SCSI"
with one of the modules each.

Is there some way to determine directly, using cardmgr, which card line I
should use for this unsupported card? cardctl?

We have a desktop with pcmcia slot (plugged into an ISA controller card) -
would it work better/differently in a laptop? The desktop finds all our
modems and ethernet cards and CF adaptor. The cable would plug into an
external hard drive, into which we could plug scanner and external CD
burner. (The computer already has internal zip drive, IDE).