baslinux - Re: [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 23:42:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 8 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I also deleted a file called 'magic' which said it was
needed to play games.

/etc/magic has nothing to do with games.

The BL2 'magic' does have parts used for Adventure and other games.

And my Websters Dictionary has a definition for game.
That doesn't mean it is needed to play games.

How did you decide what parts of 'magic' to retain in BL3?

I still have about 180MB of BL2 and want to delete anything
irrelevant to use on a laptop without sound or compiler.

Perhaps it would be simpler to install from scratch?
The foundation BL3 installation is just 5mb (and that
includes laptop stuff). Add icewm, AbiWord, and Opera
(with libraries) and the entire installation is less
than 40mb.

I thought about this, but don't want to start all over again.

I modified a lot of other files too and did not keep good notes. I installed packages and deleted large parts of them, or copied only a library or two (with synlinks) from a package containing a dependency. I have delilinux links2 (it works without X) with dependencies (not packages, single library files).

Ghostscript 8.50, lynx, netpbm, opera 7.23 and 7.54 (I want to modify the latter before removing the former), xv, xpdf, ratpoison, screen, bmv, kbd.tgz, and other good things. I deleted dosemu on the assumption that qemu with a later library will work better.

Can I delete all /include directories, are they only for compiling? Do I need i386-slackware-linux directories if not compiling on here? (I won't remove ldso.tgz). Do I need the gnuaout and gnulibc1 for anything in BL2 if BL3 does not have them and I am not even running libc5 programs in BL2?

First I want to shrink BL2 some more, than probably copy the above programs from BL2 to BL3 one file at a time (binary and then dependencies) and once it all works then delete BL2. X already works in BL3, but I could copy xv (without whatever I already deleted) and xpdf. I left 200MB for BL3 and 300MB for BL2, both about 50% full now, and should maybe have reversed this.

Much of this is doc and man files that I don't need on a laptop. I removed perl, which I only needed for compiling, and gmake and binutils (I kept a copy of ar to use with deb packages).

XF86Config from BL3 is working fine in BL2. This older Toshiba does 800x600 and I think the newer one only did 640. Links2 works full-screen at 800 and 3/4 screen at 640 (apparently svgalib from SW8.1 can handle this video, though Xvesa crashes on exit and I had to use X_SVGA).

A new question:

Is there some way to use linux (maybe with some precompiled kernel) to transfer Mac files from an external scsi hard drive to a DOS-formatted zip disk? The drive was not found by a Mac ppc computer plugged in externally or internally (with various combinations of switches, ID numbers, and terminators), though the Mac found a scsi zip disk/drive with DOS files on it, or with a PC externally (the Adaptec BIOS program could not find either it or a Mac drive that we know was working in a Mac computer). But somehow someone had put files onto it a few years ago.

We got the Mac computer for someone familiar with Mac Allegro music composition program. Is there a linux shareware program that reads the same format? I would prefer to make the owner a linux computer if he can't get his program off the hard drive onto this 100MHz Mac (which has 128MB and runs like molasses).

Maybe Adaptec is not set to recognize Mac formatted drives?