baslinux - Re: [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 19:05:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 7 May 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

I still have about 180MB of BL2 and want to delete anything
irrelevant to use on a laptop without sound or compiler.

Perhaps it would be simpler to install from scratch?
The foundation BL3 installation is just 5mb (and that
includes laptop stuff). Add icewm, AbiWord, and Opera
(with libraries) and the entire installation is less
than 40mb.

We set someone up in 37MB without Abiword but with Opera and lynx and
links2 and 2.4.31 kernel and modules so they could use their new camera.
The 540MB drive was overkill.

I probably should start all over again in a free partition, BL3 plus
upgraded library plus programs I am really going to use.
I have been deleting all sorts of leftover junk from BL2 on the laptop.>

I deleted the i386 stuff and all include directories from BL2 on the laptop and things still work properly. I copied over the pcmcia directory and cardmgr to BL2.

I then copied the binaries, dependencies, and a man or doc file and any required config files from BL2 to BL3 referring to /var/log/packages, for xv, xpdf, screen, gpm. I replaced the libc5 kermit I had compiled with the libc6 verion and added busybox110 at the end of the path. I added links2ssl, lynx 2.8.51 and 2.8.6 (which is buggy) and symlinked the two required files (lynx.lss and .cfg). I copied over (from kbd.tgz) setfont, showfont, six fonts, and a file needed to get them mapped correctly in unicode. I copied the libc6 sc rather than the static one, but the static mc for BL because it is smaller.

Libc versions may have been smaller but the libc6 ones are newer.

Dependencies I needed were libncurses (kermit, screen, sc)., libgpm, libcrypt, and libutil (screen)

I also have Opera 8.51 and my libc5 netpbm package and photopc for Epson digital cameras (serial download). I have the svgalib that David compiled for kernel 2.4.31. And kernels 2.2.16, 2.2.26, and 2.4.31 (David's only, I will add one I compiled for laptops) and modules for them.

I have man or doc pages for most or all of the above and man2html to read the ones I added.

I did not copy over ghostscript (I can view with xpdf and print with netpbm) or anything to do with sound or scsi or dosemu. I have not been using Abiword. I have a DOS partition for wordprocessing.

My DOS partition and my BL3 partition (not counting 24MB swapfile) have 50MB of files each. Linux directories apparently take up 1024 rather than 4096 bytes when made on a smaller partition. In DOS the cutoff for cluster size is 256MB so I will in future make my BL3 partitions no more than that. (I made BL2 300MB and BL3 200MB).

BL2 is 135MB (sound, ghostscript, take up a lot of space, along with the full packages for kbd and other things).

I probably will not add qemu to the laptop. It has some strange sound chip that requires dealing with sb and mss sound at the same time.

It was quite a bit easier to copy things from BL2 than to install parts of packages from scratch.