baslinux - [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 21:25:13 +0000 (UTC)

I just copied BL2 to a laptop computer, after getting rid of two bad PCMCIA and two ISA ethernet cards (did not pass the 3c509 test - one could not find any free registers and one failed a loopback test and they were a pair so probably died together) and one bad ethernet cable.
(yes I checked that it was a straight-through cable and we were using an adaptor to make it crossover when connecting the ends of two cables, one of which is part of the PCMCIA card).

I used Steven's send/receive routines on individual directories (so as not to copy over a few things I did not want on the laptop) and then deleted /usr/src, compilers, anything to do with sound or scsi or scanners, Xvesa, and some miscellany. This reduced it from 380MB to 180MB even with two versions each of Opera, links2, and lynx, and a large ghostscript and netpbm, and Abiword and much more.

I also deleted a file called 'magic' which said it was needed to play games.

I seem to have overdone it, as usual.

It boots but cannot find rc.S, which is there, from /etc/rc.d.

#bash is the prompt.

It also cannot find things on the path such as insmod.

It does not complain about not finding it, but
won't reboot with 'reboot' but will with Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I cannot edit files with pico (nano) and save them - it says it is a read-only file system. (I can fix this part by changing ro to rw in the boothd.bat file).

I edited fstab from BL3.

What might I have omitted or deleted by mistake?

I will get back to qemu after replacing two unreliable computers. It looks quite promising since there is a way to directly access the regular DOS partition. I plan to use it on a linux scsi drive - does qemu handle scsi? FreeDOS does not but I am using DOS 7.1 Chinese.