baslinux - Re: [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 01:34:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 8 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Is there some way to use linux (maybe with some
precompiled kernel) to transfer Mac files from an
external scsi hard drive to a DOS-formatted zip disk?

I don't know if it will help or not, but there is a module
(hfs.o) to let the kernel read the Mac filesystem. It is
available for BL3 (in fs directory). Perhaps it will let
you see the Mac files?

Thanks, I will try it if I can get linux fdisk to find the drive first. Adaptec BIOS cannot.

The 12-year old software he was trying to get off the drive is now available in a 2004 mini-version for OS 9 which does less but reads files from the larger version, freeware download (not with lynx, it goes in little circles). His composed music files may be on there but may also be on a zip disk which the Mac can read. This is a 'starving musician'. The software will also work with Win98SE but is not available for linux. Finale (www.finalemusic.com), probably a proprietary format. The newest version wants 250MB hd and 256MB RAM. We gave him 128MB RAM, which ought to work with two versions ago, but the Mac computer takes forever to boot to OS 9, to which it really should not have been upgraded (100MHz computer). I hope we can get his older version for him, which is no longer online.

I could not figure out Rosegarden and he wants to stick with Finale.

I am going to go ahead and delete and /include directories (and keep good notes) and the i386-slackware-linux directories since BL3 does not have them. Unless someone can tell me why not to. Then eventually copy over anything I want which is in BL2 which is not in BL3. Ratpoison will not be allowed to cross over since Icewm works better with Opera.

I looked at the syslinux site but it is a 1.0MB download of the zip file. Since I can't play midi files to the piano in linux, I may just use that computer for DOS only. It won't boot linux with loadlin and run X unless I bypass startup files.