baslinux - Re: [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] read-only filesystem and wrong prompt
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 03:28:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 8 May 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

bare.i kernel has scsi support built-in and also config mac partition y -
would that be usable without the extra module to view mac partitions?

It should be - as long as your scsi card driver (and sd_mod) is also
built in. I assumed that they would build it as a module. This must be
part of the reason why bare.i is so large.

I think they are all built in but the SW7.1 bare.i kernel told me
FATAL: kernel too old

The 2.4.31 bare.i kernel booted but did not find the scsi controller.
I may have misread config for it.

The 2.4.31 kernel with scsi supportd that you compiled found the drive the first time I booted with it (before using bare.i kernels)
dmesg: unable to read partition table (of sda)
fdisk: cannot read disk drive
fdisk -z : 730MB free space (no partitions)
fdisk: Bad signature on partition table (the message continued like
this during several more boots)

Now this same kernel reports the scsi card but not sda, and fdisk 'cannot open disk drive'. We got this same message when the drive was put into another working enclosure, before trying bare.i kernels.

We know the enclosure works with another scsi drive.

Could the disk have finished failing during our tests?

I don't see how we can test it if linux can't even find it in two known good enclosures. Time to give up. Thanks for the ideas.

David