baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:56:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I've just put a package in the BL3 add-ons containing
those libraries (and some others). It is called x-libs.tgz

Ok. I installed those and it got rid of the error message on start-up of Opera. Thanks.

Could be QEMU. It maxes out my CPU while doing very little.
Some of those web pages need a lot of processing.

Further experimentation reveals the following. When I run top, I see that opera and xvesa seem to be locked in a mortal struggle for CPU cycles, opera getting the upper hand. Between the two of them, they are at times using more than 100%. I tried setting a lesser resolution (800x600) for Xvesa, but the problem persisted. When I turned off image display in Opera at that resolution however, I got somewhat better results. Still slow as molasses, but it least Opera wasn't hanging. Then, I took resolution back up to 1024x768x15 and ran Opera again with image rendering still turned off. That didn't work--back to the same hanging behavior. Did you try going to www.yahoo.com and surfing through some news stories? I do plan to put BL 3.4 on real hardware at some point here. That would tell me how much of the problem I'm seeing trying to run Opera on BL 3.4 is related to qemu's throttling.

James