baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:56:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

when I ran Opera like this:
-----------------------
opera -geometry 800x600
-----------------------
That fixed it permanently. Now opera always appears
in a proper window (even when I start it without the
-geometry parameter).

That worked for me, too. Now it always opens with title bar containing buttons. Thanks for the tip. But in other testing, opera's not working quite right for me. This is on a fresh qemu image, with just the library upgrades your and David's posts suggested. More below.

Yes, apparently plug-ins need motif. I fixed that by
adding two libraries: libXt and libXm (Slackware 4.0).
Then did ldconfig to link the libraries. Everything
is working now.

I searched for libXt and libXm in Slack 4.0 and, so far as I could tell they were in packages contained in the x1 directory: oldlibs(something).tgz and lt(something).tgz. Does that sound correct? I added those packages to the system, then ran ldconfig. But I still get the error message on startup about motif needing to be installed. Are you saying that installing those packages/libraries got rid of the error message on your system? It didn't do so for me: I tried on 2 different test installs (qemu). Furthermore, I've run into some program misbehavior as well.

I'm pleased with the speed of this opera on my old P-166.
It definitely performs better on old hardware than Firefox.

It's really sluggish under my BL qemu installs: maybe that's to do mostly with the emulation lag? But more than that, it seems to just hang at some sites, taking up alot of CPU but not fully rendering the page (i.e., after several minutes waiting). One site where the problem seems worst is at Yahoo. Could you try going to Yahoo and clicking on some of the news stories links? It typically happens that when I click on a link, or maybe on a second link within the story at the first link I've followed, I get this kind of hanging. It will render about the first quarter of the page (Yahoo logo and maybe the first paragraph of the story), then just stop. After several minutes, it still looks the same, despite the fact that it seems to be continuing to load.

Maybe you've added some other bits to your system that make it run more smoothly? It does seem that Opera will be the best choice for a full-featured graphical browser for BL users. Some detailed directions for getting it installed seem to be needed, though.

Thanks, James