baslinux - Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:55:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, James Miller wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

I just looked at this site. You can also run FreeDOS under qemu. Can you
check whether WP5.1/DOS works properly under qemu in BL3? (It worked very
badly under dosemu). I can send you a copy of the minimal files needed, a
few 100 K I think. Do the Alt keys work correctly, or do they switch
terminals instead?

Send it along and I'll test it out. Do I use FreeDOS, or real DOS? I
expect WP to work much better under DOS installed to a qemu image than
with DOSemu, since the latter involves emulated hardware.

I have used it with MS DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS.
Will send it later today or this week. It is on a computer here with failed IDE controller.

Do I understand correctly that you got BL3.40 running under qemu and David
got qemu running under BL3 (with several added libraries from SW9.1)?

Yep, that's pretty much it. Except that I got qemu running under BL3 too,
as did Steven. I used Slack 9.0 libraries, though, since I understood
directions stipulated that.

Since I want to keep compiling for glibc 2.2.5, I would either need a way to put both 2.2.5 and SW9.X glibc on the computer and specify to qemu to use the latter, or set up another small partition with BL3 just for running qemu in and chroot to it, or set up SW9 or 10 in my fourth and last partition and chroot to it, or is there another way?

We have a 40GB drive with unlimited extended partitions to play in on this laptop computer.

James