baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 18:14:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I don't think the BL kernels support ext3

That's correct.

He could use a SW7.1 kernel and modules instead, or I could compile him a modified small kernel to take up less RAM, based on your BL3.40 config and 2.2.16.

BL3.40 has only a minimal configuration for common cards
such as modems and CF adaptor and some ethernet,

BL3.40 should also work with PCMCIA IDE drives.
Same module as the CF adaptor?

First time I heard of a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive.
If it is not IDE, is it perhaps parport or scsi?

AFAIK they are usually IDE.

At the site I found, the person claiming to understand what was going on said it was NOT ide_cs.o.

Would he need to add a couple of lines to your config file for his CD-ROM drive?

Which sound chip? There is a BL package for sb16 and modules
for many other chips.

Hmmm, seems like it should be a PCMCIA module if the sound card
is PCMCIA. However, none of the modules in modules/2.2.26/pcmcia
look like a soundcard module. Beats me.

I assumed it was onboard sound, but apparently your Toshiba does not have that. My pentium Toshiba has some sb/mss hybrid.

I play music on CD-ROM drives with play buttons by plugging headphones into the front jack, no need for sound software.