baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:13:35 +1300

itfactor36 AT gmail.com wrote:

> Have an old Toshiba laptop (model T2135CS)

I've got the same laptop sitting right next to me.
BL3 works fine on it.

> 1. Anyone have any good suggestions to unzip the BL3 .ZIP
> install files from C:\BASLIN ? Do not have a PKUNZIPper
> available for DOS

You should be able to download a DOS version of pkunzip.

> and tomsrtbt's gunzip apparently does not work on this.

gzip (gunzip) is different from zip (unzip).

> 2. What else should be set up once laptop has BasicLinux iinstalled,
> for optimal performance?

Use the zimage.4dx kernel instead of the default one.

> Swap partition set to be 20MB

That will be fine. You definitely should have swap for 8mb RAM.

> Would yes indeed like to use a minimal X and run one available
> XAP at a time -- Abiword,

Super-slow with just 8mb RAM. Could be served from more
powerful computer (running Xterminal on the laptop).

> SC

Should work fine with 8mb RAM. Does not need X.

> sqlite

Should work OK with small databases. Does not need X.

> links2,

Needs X. Will be slow with 8mb RAM.

> How does one use this 486-specific kernel assuming that this
> is the best one for a laptop w/ 8MB RAM?

When you unzip the BL3 zip, you will find a zimage in there.
Simply replace it with the 4dx version. Either call the new
kernel zimage -or- edit BOOT.BAT to change zimage to zimage.4dx

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru