baslinux - Re: [BL] scsi-framebuffer-usb kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] scsi-framebuffer-usb kernel
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 19:11:58 +0000 (UTC)

Compiling 2.4.31 kernel. I started with the .config from the one David made for me and spent an hour adding and removing things. I added gameport/soundcard support (we have a midi keyboard to play with), removed joystick and usb device events and wireless LAN and AGP Xfree 4 support for GLX and DRI (game textures), and video for linux (screen capture), and a lot of USB things I never heard of and don't have, and added the other uhci driver, vfat build-in, nfs(d), Herc graphics frambuffer support, removed digital tables and USB cameras that we don't have, and USB printers and modems (but left USB PDA), USB seral, added Voodoo 3Dfx video in framebuffer, added SBLive midi support since we ran out of ISA slots, removed all the extra DOS codepages, removed SLIP, added NATSEMI ethernet (PCI), and added MTRR (supposed to make the images draw 2.5 times faster and maybe it will let me use the older zgv or whatever it was that gave mtrr error messages).

I changed number of scsi disks from 40 to 4 (I have only 1 working plus the storage card) and tablet screen size from 1024 to 1280.

I was hoping to get a significantly smaller kernel with all the above changes.

After 'make config' I typed 'make dep' and got:

make[1]: /bin/pwd: Command not found (I have my busybox in its own directory on the path but should probably move it to bin and run busybox.sh there after fixing it to recognize only ./busybox).

I made a symlink so pwd would appear in /bin and make dep worked and make bzImage is working and I will post the new bzimage as well as a similar one with scsi_mod and sd_mod as modules instead of built in (for linux booted from IDE drive).

The scsi-modular kernel is tested working with a USB memory stick in BL3.32 (accidentally put there on my partner's computer).

I will upload to http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31

bzimagsy.431 (built-in scsi) - 758K config.sy
bzimagsm.431 (modules scsi_mod and sd_mod) - 671K config.sm
David's kernel is bzimage.431 - 746K

Something I added must have been larger than all the stuff I took out (which was mostly modules). I added vfat built-in and MTRR (9K, it said), and some modules.

I had renamed kernel header directory that the 2.4.31 headers went into via a symlink (and overwrote the 2.2.16 headers there) from 2.2.16 to 2.4.31, reinstalled the 2.2.16 linuxinc older headers (which went into a new 2.2.16 directory), put the symlink in /usr/src from linux to linux-2.4.31 again (I will reverse this if compiling for 2.2.16), and installed the 2.4.31 source code with installpkg (BL2) into /usr/src/linux-2.4.31/kernel (that is where it put it).

I made a symlink from /lib/modules/2.4.31/build to /usr/src/linux-2.4.31 so that .config would be found there when I eventually tried to compile the wireless module (which my kernel won't support - but I have to figure out which module it needs anyway and I found the Windows CD and may just try it in Win98 at the library).

If this works, I would be happy to compile custom kernels (2.2.16 or 2.4.31) for anyone with odd requirements such as ext3.