baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 04:05:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 itfactor36 AT gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the help on this!
Worked on this Toshiba using suggestions from here and other places.
Turns out that Win95 took up the entire 500MB+ of drive, so wiping away this
OS made getting further info that much more interesting. Laptop's modem
turns out to be a PCMCIA USR 3056 -- one of those useless-for-Linux
WINMODEMS(!) -- so ppp and dialup svcs out for now :-(. From DOS's MSD, the
First time I heard of a PCMCIA winmodem. Lucky you.

video is a 'CHIPS 65520/525/530 (Vesa) Flat Panel VGA', so vesa X setups
apparently work great on this.

Xvesa is all you need if the chip does 15 bit or greater color.
You only need X_SVGA if Xvesa does not work, or if the card does no more than 8-bit color (XVesa does not do 8-bit) so that you can run programs that require 8-bit or more color, such as Abiword.

Next goal would be to see about having the hard drive boot without a DOS
loadlin-containing floppy. Maybe using LILO the LInuxLOader on /dev/hda1
would help speed up booting? Another goal is to maybe tune the ext2
filesystem to make it journalling.... the ext3 option. Tuning the video
options as suggested by others would be great if this will help run X
better.

No need if you have enough colors with Xvesa.

I don't think the BL kernels support ext3 but you can use a different kernel, from Slackware (with same version of modules).

Anyone know which module in BL3-40 would get an EXP CDS 940 PCMCIA 2X CD-ROM
and 16 bit soundcard combination working properly as it did in Win9x ?? If
card-CD-ROM working right in BL3, then maybe playing multimedia (CD's) and
copying from CD's easier.

A compatibility list says some but not all of that model CD-ROM drive are supported.

I found a 1999 discussion in which someone tried to use ide_cs, which is wrong, and the output of cardctl (which I don't think we have) indicated that he has one of the ones that don't work. It was supposed to work with some standard configuration but BL3.40 has only a minimal configuration for common cards such as modems and CF adaptor and some ethernet, and you may need to add the lines for your card.

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/ide/3.html (or search on your card model).

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.1
Explains how to modify PCMCIA config for a new device, using cardmgr.

First time I heard of a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive. If it is not IDE, is it perhaps parport or scsi?

Which sound chip? There is a BL package for sb16 and modules for many other chips.