baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: itfactor36 AT gmail.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:04:58 -0500

I wrote: Anyone know which module in BL3-40 would get an EXP CDS 940
PCMCIA 2X CD-ROM and 16 bit soundcard combination working properly as
it did in Win9x ?? If card-CD-ROM working right in BL3, then maybe
playing multimedia (CD's) and copying from CD's easier.

> A compatibility list says some but not all of that model CD-ROM drive are
> supported.
> I found a 1999 discussion in which someone tried to use ide_cs, which is
> wrong, and the output of cardctl (which I don't think we have) indicated
> that he has one of the ones that don't work. It was supposed to work with
> some standard configuration but BL3.40 has only a minimal configuration
> for common cards such as modems and CF adaptor and some ethernet, and
> you may need to add the lines for your card.
>
> http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/ide/3.html
> (or search on your card model).
> http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.1
> Explains how to modify PCMCIA config for a new device, using cardmgr.

From the links sindi writes just above, this card-drive combo might
not be supported. OTOH, from some further research, the Debian-laptop
forum discusses this card of this card at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2000/04/msg00142.html
Since the thread postings mention Debian's outmoded "2.1 slink" and
"2.2 potato" releases, the kernels used here to recognize card would
be up to Linux kernel 2.2.x

> First time I heard of a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive. If it is not IDE, is it
> perhaps parport or scsi?
> Which sound chip? There is a BL package for sb16 and modules for
> many other chips.

If this helps, pic of card at
http://www.expnet.com/know.nsf/a87c96fe8c97753f8525644900608242/f1b674eb2f3d344788256449007ec6e0?OpenDocument
Card-supported notebooks at
http://www.expnet.com/know.nsf/65d6ec1049b020ef88256425002dab4b/9f546db18d6ee91988256472006a33a5?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,CDS,940
Note from pic that the card itself is marked as a PCMCIA type 2.1 card.
EXP describes the card-CDROM-combo in further detail at
http://www.expnet.com/know.nsf/65d6ec1049b020ef88256425002dab4b/0199464e8282fa5e8825642d006d4007?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,CDS,940
(intended primarily for DOS/Win3.1 and Win95)
The cable from the card attaches to the CD-ROM drive through a
standard 15-pin serial adapter, so I would guess that module would be
very unlikely to be IDE or parport. Have not yet tried using the BL
sb16 pckg yet.
This physical descr. may or may not help in compiling a module for
this, assuming that such a module for the card can be compiled and run
in BL3.

itfactor36