baslinux - Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:45:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Anthony Albert wrote:

On 9 Feb 2006 at 16:05, David Moberg wrote:
[SNIP]
Be aware that they advise against using flash media for OS installs, since
they measure the life of these things in (comparatively low) read-write
cycles and a running OS has to do alot of reading from and writing to the
disk.

I thought that was the first generation of flash disks. I also thought that
the limit only applied to writes, not reads. Anyway, if you modify BL3 a
little bit, you can get it to boot into ro mode. And BL3 is so small that
this should not be a concern.

This is so - the read cycles are unlimited, but write cycles are
limited. Enough of them, to the same area, will, over time, cause the
flash device to fail.

That said, in early devices it was <10K write cycles. Current devices
are rated at >100K write cycles, and the controllers in the devices
spread the write cycles out amongst the available blocks, evenly, so
that no single block gets as many writes.

Anthony Albert

If we put linux into the first 10MB of a 64MB card, then the linux and photo sections of the card would get different amounts of use, but I doubt we would get through that many write cycles anyway.