baslinux - Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:49:49 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> > Maybe it would be easier. Give it a try and see. Right: if you have the
> > necessary USB modules compiled into the kernel, there's no need for an
> > initrd, I guess.
>
> Maybe this weekend. I would start a fresh BL3.40 loop, add netpbm or part
> of it (do we want to print from the camera?) and copy it via the 1-floppy
> 2.4.31 rather than install-to-hd, to as small a partition as possible
> (less than 20MB) on the memory card. Then replace the 2.2.26 modules with
> any wanted 2.4.31 modules (slhc, ppp*?).

Don't forget to update pppd if you are using the newer driver.

> We have USB 1.0
>
> 12 MBits/sec, or 1.5 Mbytes/sec, which is 7 of our largest photos. We
> could read a 20MByte BL3 into RAM in maybe 15 seconds.

This ought to be much faster than parallel port zip.

> If we boot from a FD with the kernel, how much disk space would be needed
> for a minimal BL3 without modules?

Would you resize fs.img? If so, BL3 should fit in 5-7MB.

> (I could try to add it to /etc/profile but don't know how to modify
> David's syslinux setup.)

mount /dev/fd0 /fd
zcat /fd/initrd.gz >/initrd
mount -o loop /initrd /hd
edit /etc/profile

(or is it called initfs.gz? i can't check right now)

David