baslinux - Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:46:08 -0800

James Miller wrote:

> > 2.4.31 so I might be able to use modules from there. Someone sent us a
> > copy that should be here soon. We don't have the latest DSL - would one
> > from 2 years ago use 2.4.31?
>
> No. I think they only upgraded the kernel to 2.4.31 recently. I've got the
> DSL modules and could make them available on an ftp server
> (password-protected).

DeliLinux is more size-optimized and they use a 2.4.31 kernel for their
latest version now.

> > on larger ones without a swap file (and is slow). Would linux run as fast
> > from a camera/CF card as from hard drive? Faster?
>
> Depends on the USB. 1.0 wouldn't, but the newer 2.0 would run about as
> fast as a HD (480mb/s, I think). Isn't that about as fast as data
> transfers over the IDE channel?

480mbits/s is the theoretical maximum for usb 2.0. I don't think that
typical flash drives are built to work anywhere near that rate.

> > You don't need a 'rw'?
>
> I didn't use it, but again, this is DSL. Might be needed for BL.

You can put 'mount -o rw,remount /' in /etc/rc.

> > It will wear out the CF card, you mean?
>
> That's what they say on the DSL forums. David seems to think otherwise,
> though.

No, Anthony corrected my erroneous assumption.

David