baslinux - [BL] Kernels (was re: loopback version in Windows XP command window)

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Kernels (was re: loopback version in Windows XP command window)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:43:59 -0500

On 10 Feb 2006 at 3:32, sindi keesan wrote:

SNIP

> The 3.40 kernel will not do the camera or card readers. SW10.2 uses kernel
> 2.4.31 so I might be able to use modules from there. Someone sent us a
> copy that should be here soon. We don't have the latest DSL - would one
> from 2 years ago use 2.4.31?

No, Sindi. I forgot what they used then.

Recently they changed the DSL distro from kernel 2.2.26 (I think) to 2.4.31.
And even more recently, back to 2.2.26, I think because their 2.4.31 had
dropped support for some older hardware, and I guess the users were screaming
in protest.

As I recall, even the kernel they had a year ago, possibly 2.4.something,
allowed me access to a USB storage device.

I have an almost-up-to-date DSL with kernel 2.4.26

The DSL developers had said they don't use kernel 2.6 because it's very big.

Thanks,
Sheldon