baslinux - Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:13:41 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, t.maiden AT att.net wrote:

Sorry to be replying to my own e-mail, but no, it didn't work. From either "command" or "cmd" I got the strange message that there was not enough free memory! I know the available RAM memory on these school PCs is huge compared to the available memory on my old Compaq Windows 95 box that runs BL3 floppy version like a champ...
-------------- Original message from t.maiden AT att.net: --------------

Someone may have asked this already, but has anyone ever tried to run the
loopback version of BL on a Windows XP PC from either the cmd or the command
window? Where DOS-like commands can be entered? Is it worth trying? Do you
think it would run from a flash drive? Am I goofy to even wonder about this?
Thanks.

The loopback might work from a USB flash drive if you booted the machine with a DOS floppy set up to detect USB mass storage devices. I suppose that might depend on the computer's BIOS, too.

I recently made a Linux version boot on an external USB HD (not BL). I use a FreeDOS boot floppy that has loadlin, a kernel, and a deviously-crafted initrd. I can use a portable Linux this way on any machine that has the right free USB (2.0) port and can boot from floppy. I was initially trying to use a 512MB flash drive, but it turned out to be way too small for the trimmed-down distro I was trying to use. BL would work alot better size-wise on a drive like that. But whether the USB storage modules for BL 3.40 would work with most modern machines remains under question. Then, such a flash drive install would have to have the full complement of modules stored on it to do much useful with the host machine (e.g., NIC modules). It's probably doable, the main potential gotcha being the USB storage modules. I'd be happy to share my technique and expereinces in doing this. I've thought it would be an interesting thing to try with BL, but I have not yet even found much time to test the new release! Hope to soon, though.

James