baslinux - Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:37:42 +1300

Samual Acorn wrote:

> im not a big fan of 'media' players... xmms for music,
> xine for movies...

What's wrong with a single binary (mplayer) that does
music, movies and streaming media? Isn't David's
mplayer smaller than your xmms/xine stuff?

> opera is adware/shareware... and it doesnt do CSS properly...

Opera is now free. No ads. I haven't noticed any
CSS problems with the latest version (which I have
running on BL2).

> i only install what i want from big distros

I doubt it. I reckon your big-distro installation is
filled with stuff you don't use.

> my point was is that i can install -from cd- not over the web...

So do I. I have a Slackware 4.0 CDrom for BL3.
And Slackware 7.1 and 8.1 CDroms for BL2.

> nor do i have to replace anything i just install it....
>
> its old (same install for 5 years now) so ive had to do
> a bit of updating.... usually compiling the apps myself....

What's the difference between "replacing" and "updating" ?

> > Busybox telnet is easily replaced.
> why replace when the real one can be installed in the first place....

Because the real one is much, much bigger. If I used
"real" binaries in BasicLinux, it would need 10 floppies
instead of 2.

> i have chopped up installs made out of redhat components...

That's how BasicLinux started (except that I stripped down
a Slackware installation). I wanted to get Linux down to
the minimal essentials (like booting a 3-file DOS: io.sys,
msdos.sys and command.com).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru