baslinux - Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:22:35 +1300

Samual Acorn wrote:

> > I run Firebird on BL2. And Gnumeric.
> > Anything else I'm missing?
>
> standard set of gnu tools (rather than busybox)

I've already installed those from Slackware 7.1.

> xmms

mplayer works fine for me.

> --gimp--

I'm not into graphics, but I could install that from
Slackware if I wanted it.

> xchat

Opera (which I run on BL2) has chat.

> fvwm2

I installed that from Slackware once, didn't like it.
icewm is *much* better IMHO.

> perl

Available from Slackware.

> cdparanoia

I don't have a CD writer, but other users have been
able to burn CDs from BasicLinux.

> lame

I've got name.

> licq,

Is that some sort of messaging (see above).

> firefox (firebird is... old...),

And I've got old hardware. Firebird/phoenix has less bloat.
But I'm pretty sure I could install the latest-and-greatest
Firefox on BL2 if I wanted to. Probably BL3 as well.

> shockwave flash

I've already added that to my Firebird and Opera.

> java

Yes, that too is running on BL2 (both as a Firebird plugin
and standalone).

> nmap

I ran that on BL1. Don't remember if I bothered upgrading
it to BL2.

> telnet that works properly (for using BL as an X terminal),

Why bother with telnet? Use ssh (which runs on BL1, BL2, BL3).
But if you insist on telnet, what's wrong with the Slackware
version? Anyway, you don't need telnet to use BL as an X
terminal -- simply export DISPLAY from the main computer or
run xdm (or similar).

> --minicom--

Get it from Slackware. That's what the BL pkg command is for.

> microcom is way too finiky...

And it's only a tiny fraction the size of minicom. If it were
bigger (i.e. more features, more user-friendly) I wouldn't have
put it in BL3 at all.

> never used gnumeric.... then again.. ive never understood the
> need for spreadsheets....

You will when your boss gives you an xls file to work on.
That's why I installed gnumeric. Until then I always used
my old Lotus123 (running on DOS).

> and yes... i know all of that wont fit on floppy...

The 2-floppy BasicLinux is just the starting point. It gives
you the foundation for lots of other stuff.

> but if someone is going to do a full install

What's a full install these days? 2 gigabytes? 3 gigabytes?

> on somewhat new hardware

New hardware??? BasicLinux is not designed for new hardware.
It's not even designed for good secondhand hardware. BL3 is
designed for junk, for throw-away hardware.

> IMO they should use a full distro....

Yeah, newbies with new hardware should use a full distro:
user-friendly, point-and-click, kitchen-sink, no worries.
"Hey Mom, I'm a Linux user. Watch me click on the eye-candy."

> as far as old comps go tho basiclinux does get the job done
> quicker... perfect for ancient laptops...

That's all I've got here: ancient hardware. BasicLinux is
designed for my hardware. By using a BasicLinux foundation
and appropriate add-ons, my browser/mail/etc performs
significantly faster than my inlaws Windows computer (with
4 times the RAM and 8 times the CPU).

The fact is your user-friendly, point-and-click distribution
(whether it comes from Bill Gates or Red Hat) eats resources.
I'm now seeing reports on a Linux discussion group that a
certain 2.6 kernel requires 32mb to boot. That's just the
kernel (not the filesystem). I have five laptops -- none of
them would be able to boot that kernel. Nevertheless I used
the slowest of those laptaps (when it was my only laptop)
to give a very successful MagicPoint presentation to my local
council. That's why MagicPoint is in BL3. It turns a junk
laptop into an extremely valuable tool.

A note for those of you making submissions to council hearings:
a submission presented via MagicPoint usually trumps a submission
made via charts/chalk/whatever. Your well-funded opponents will
always have a fancy PowerPoint presentation. You don't have a
chance unless you have something similar.

> but too small for desktops...

Too small? I run BasicLinux on my desktops, and it works fine.
I simply add the packages I want from Slackware (and elsewhere)
or compile my own (using the compiler package from Slackware).

> even a 486DX2-66 with 32mb of ram can handle more...

OK, tell me what current distribution works well on that hardware?
Don't forget X.

> and to get that 'more' when starting from BL

"starting" is the key word. BasicLinux is a starting point,
a lean foundation upon which to add just the packages you need.

> most of BL would have to be replaced...

Most? I don't think so. Sure, some of the included binaries
have limited functionality and you might want to install the
full versions from Slackware. However, BasicLinux is not
defined by its binaries. The most important thing (to me) is
that BasicLinux provides a simple skeleton, stripped of bloat.
Yes, I have stuck some binaries on that skeleton but you are
free to add or subtract them as you wish.

> including the broken telnet client....

Broken how? I tested it on a few things (eg matanza) and
it worked OK. Anyway, most people needing that kind of
functionality will install the ssh package.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru