baslinux - Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: Samual Acorn <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 01:28:42 -0600

On 25/12/05, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org <3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> Samual Acorn wrote:
> >
> > basiclinux is fun... but as its name implies.... its extreamly...
> > well... basic... you are missing out on quite a bit on things
> > like..... mozilla....
>
> Does Firebird count? I run Firebird on BL2. And Gnumeric.
> Anything else I'm missing?

standard set of gnu tools (rather than busybox), xmms, --gimp--,
xchat, fvwm2, perl, cdparanoia, lame, licq, firefox (firebird is...
old...), shockwave flash, java, xine, bochs, oggenc, oggdec, ogg123,
curl, nmap, videocard specific x servers, telnet that works properly
(for using BL as an X terminal), --minicom-- (microcom is way too
finiky... try using the page up and page down keys)... (all i can
think of at the moment)

i also tried (didnt work) once to run a demo called 'one day miracle'
(http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=7196) but this was some time
ago...

never used gnumeric.... then again.. ive never understood the need for
spreadsheets....

and yes... i know all of that wont fit on floppy... but if someone is
going to do a full install on somewhat new hardware IMO they should
use a full distro....

as far as old comps go tho basiclinux does get the job done quicker...
perfect for ancient laptops... might even be usefull for embedded
systems like car mp3players or possibly even robotics.... but too
small for desktops... even a 486DX2-66 with 32mb of ram can handle
more... and to get that 'more' when starting from BL most of BL would
have to be replaced... including the broken telnet client....

i dont mean any offence by any of this.... just my view....

> > i take it your camera doesnt have removable memory cards?
>
> I haven't got a camera at all. But, if I do get one, it will
> use CF cards (because I recently got a PCMCIA CF adapter and
> have added the CF routine to BL3).

no offence but i wasnt talking to you on this one... was talking to
sindi.... but its good to know it will support CF.......