baslinux - Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 23:01:12 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

The fact is your user-friendly, point-and-click distribution
(whether it comes from Bill Gates or Red Hat) eats resources.
I'm now seeing reports on a Linux discussion group that a
certain 2.6 kernel requires 32mb to boot. That's just the
kernel (not the filesystem).

Here's a point of reference for modern bloat. One of my "new" machines has a 1.4 Ghz Celeron processor and 768MB RAM. I run Debian unstable on it, with the 2.6.12 kernel. It's true that I do some pretty heavy multi-tasking, and at any given time have something like 20-30 progs open, using 2 window managers (Gnome and ion3 for terminal progs). When I do certain things on this system like burn a CD, install programs via apt or even just update apt, the system slows to an absolute crawl. It really feels like I'm using an old 486: the cursor can't keep up with movements of the mouse, you can see the screen repaint when you switch tasks/WM's. The resources of a high-end machine (from a BL perspective) like this are pretty marginal for an up-to-date Linux. I've been using Debian vanilla kernels for convenience sake, but I really think I'm going to have to custom compile one to see if I can get some better performance on this system.

James