baslinux - Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:36:44 +0000 (UTC)

i take it your camera doesnt have removable memory cards?

I haven't got a camera at all. But, if I do get one, it will
use CF cards (because I recently got a PCMCIA CF adapter and
have added the CF routine to BL3).

What would you do if you biked somewhere with your camera and took photos
that you wanted to share immediately, and nobody there had a laptop
computer?

id show them the images on the convienient LCD screen built into the
camera if i was in that much of a hurry....

That still would not give them a copy of the photos, which you would need to upload over your dialup line later. (At 6MB/hour, with luck). Assuming they even had internet service. We have several friends with computers and no internet connection (or they don't know how to download photos with it).

We have one desktop to which we added pcmcia controller and
slot.

I made sure to get a camera (Olympus from 2000) that can transfer via
serial cable using PhotoPC (for linux or for DOS and it fits on a boot
disk. 60K file. But trasnferring 50MB of photos (1280 res, 200-250K each)
took 6 hours so I got a USB card reader for Smartmedia cards and use
David's 1-floppy boot disk instead of biking around with a laptop computer

why in such a hurry? buy a pocket PC if you just cant wait.... they
have wifi and usb ports last i looked... take pics... stop infront of
a starbucks and then email your pics wherever you want...

We don't buy computers, they are given to us. Why spend money? The people we visit on our bike trips live an hour or two from a wireless connection and often don't have email. Or have free local email at 14.4K.

We have two PDAs, serial and USB, and can't find any use for them.

polaroid also makes a camera that spits pictures out as soon as you
take them....
Do they make a 3 oz scanner with built-in floppy drive to carry along?

in my backpack. 100 sec transfer. Is PCMCIA any faster than USB?

PCMCIA is as fast as the ISA bus.... it -is- the ISA bus... (8MB/sec)

50 MB in 6 seconds instead of 100 sec?
I don't think the hard drive can write that fast.
We will do an experiment some day. We have one laptop computer with USB and PCMCIA and hard drive.