baslinux - Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: Samual Acorn <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:38:45 -0600

On 25/12/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> (Slow connection, won't quote original while uploading a large file. Why
> is Earthlink transferring at 1500 cps?).

dialup uploads are always slow (check the CS light)
if not dialup then a fiber-seeking backhoe might be causing problems... ;)

> I use MS DOS 7.1 standalone because FreeDOS did not do scsi (does it
> now)?, did not recognize the hard drive on 2 or 3 of our computers, and I
> think did not work with DOS usb-storage driver. On two computers loadlin
> only worked with DOS 7 (2.2.26 may have fixed this).

this is why i use LILO to start linux.....

one computer for linux (only linux)
one computer for the 'doze (and only the 'doze)
and a third for DOS (and only dos)

2 for linux if you count the 'webserver'

each system with a set of hardware specific to its use....

btw, ive never done anything with DOS (or any other OS) and SCSI...
too expensive... and i dont need the transfer rate it boasts...

> I use DOS rather than lilo because I still use DOS programs:
> WP51/DOS because I don't like GUIs. It does not work under Dosemu (4.1
> does, somewhat better).

bochs works good too.....

http://bochs.sourceforge.net

> I tried VDE, which works well in DOS but under DOSEMU does not support
> upper ASCII, and some of the Ctrl-key combinations don't work - Ctrl plus
> arrow key for moving one word at a time, Find, End of File.
> I am used to some DOS viewers and other programs. Kermit works in DOS, as
> does lynx, w3m (not links), netpbm.... You can power off DOS at any point
> and access drives without mounting them.
>
> I have not found a way to directly print email from my shell account with
> linux.

i dont even use printers with linux so i cant help you on that one....

> Linux does not work properly on TTL monitor. I can't see bold or
> underline with lynx, or inverse with VDE.

TTL monitor??? where in the world did you find a TTL monitor? where in
the world did you find the card to drive it??

better yet.... why are you using it? VGA cards can be found in
trashcans and VGA monitors can be found cheap (or free) just about
anywhere....

> Only one or maybe two of my 360K drives works in linux.

non-standard? every PC floppy drive ive ever used works with linux...
even the original belt-driven full-height XT drives....

> I have not found any need for a 'full' linux. We put SW81 on one
> computer for a while to see what it looked like, and ran SW91 live CD to
> try out USB, but it is much quicker booting with BL.
>
> Every time I come up with something that BL can't do, someone compiles it
> for me. Mutt, netpbm, mplayer, USB storage kernel and boot disk, parport
> zip drive floppy boot disk, chip-specific modelines. Or works out a
> script (sound, CD burning, mpg123 for streaming audio).
>
> What is it you can't do with BL and need a larger linux for?

i dont have to wait for someone else to compile or strip something
down.... boot time is fine for me.... how fast do you expect a machine
to boot?? (30seconds not fast enough?.. for that matter i rarely turn
my linux boxen off... so i dont see the boot process very often...) i
have an X server that was compiled specifically for my videochip
(accelerated) installed right off the CD...
dont have to worry about that new NIC i install not being supported...
dont have to worry about vidcard problems... i have the -real- set of
gnu tools.... (busybox is awkward)

its not a matter of what cannot and what can be done... its a matter
of everything being properly supported (large kernel)... not needing
to deal with problems of booting one os from another...

and it also means i dont have to spend hours downloading 'extras' like
the GNU GCC over a 5k/s connection since its already on a CD...
installs rather quickly off a 50X cdrom drive.... along with a whole
bunch of other little utilities... like GNU 'screen'... everythings a
mount /dev/cdrom away.... and its not broken or stripped down... like
the broken telnet or the microcom serial client in baslin...

> Yes my camera has a memory card and I got a card reader for it, which now
> works with the 2.4.31 USB boot disk (but not with DSL or un-updated XP).
>
> A Smartmedia to PCMCIA adaptor sold for $20 used on ebay, another for 16
> pounds. My card reader was $3 used.
>
> A floppy disk or CD-ROM burning camera is large and heavy as well as more
> expensive.

heavy? erm... ok... matter of preference there i guess... i dont like
the tiny ones like the elf and similar sized cos they are just too
damn small... (like cell phones that have to be dialed with
toothpicks)