baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:08:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 11/25/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

Was this kernel compiled to work with my vendor/product ID?

Yes.

That means you typed those numbers into the source code, I presume.
Oh, well. I wonder why it worked in XP.

It also cannot mount an msdos disk, does not support msdos file
system.

Try -t vfat instead of -t msdos.

Okay. In BL3 I can mount -t msdos for my DOS floppy disks.

No msdos support (to save a little space). vfat is the same thing
with a few extensions.

Next project is to get this kernel into a 1 or 2-floppy linux to keep with
the Compact Flash camera for travelling. I will attempt this myself.

Good luck. You will want to modify the initrd and add lilo so that the
floppy will boot straight into the initrd. You will probably want to add
a bigger BusyBox at minimum.

David

Do you think a 1-floppy BL3 would be feasible here? (Type Ctrl-C to not add the X stuff, since it won't work with this kernel anyway). Then also carry around a 2-floppy with X to actually view the photos with xli.

I thought busybox was somewhere outside of the kernel - why add a bigger one?

I will use the second of the USB kernels, with vfat support and initrd for loop boot.

We are going to replace the Compaq which does not boot this kernel (and also does not print to inkjet, or work more than 1/3 of the time with USB, and stops booting linux if you switch between onboard and added video card, and needed hdparm for the hard drive not to reset, and is a real pain to work on because it is so small, and has the most miserly CMOS I have ever seen with no way to disable USB). 475MHz Super Socket 7 type AMD-K6/2 and 6GB hard drive and 192MB RAM are the useful parts of this curbside find (which was only 3 years old at the time and also had a dead floppy drive and no drive cage). Onboard sound works. I think we have had enough education from it. Two 'new' ASUS boards boot from ZIP or LAN and can even do CDROM,A,C instead of just CDROM,C,A. I recommend against Compaq for linux if this one is typical. The Compaq laptop has non-standard video that needed special modelines and one dead USB port and dead floppy drive. (Not that HP or Gateway are necessarily better - broken hinge, no PLIP; no loop in 2.2.16 but may work in 2.2.26).

What brands of motherboard work well or badly for other list members for BL?