baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 03:45:37 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
I am currently building some floppies, so if you want to wait that is probably
your best option.

Many thanks, I will wait.

One 1.44M floppy image is ready now:

http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/linux-usb.tar.gz

A usage example is included in the README.

I notice you have 1,453,897 bytes on the boot disk (leaving about 2K free) and therefore had to omit less and nano and even e3pi (about 9 bytes).

You also omitted libvga.config, which means there is no simple way to add chipset VESA or chipset VGA, or to change the horiz syn and vert refresh to get more than plain VGA resolution. I have some video cards (Tseng and Trident and SiS) which either don't display, or display badly, without chipset VESA.

The disk booted fine on my computers here, which are both uhci, as is the other computer that worked with your previous kernel. Our only ohci computer would not boot, but it could not find the kernel so I doubt this was related to the ohci, but I will try to test the kernel with an add-on ohci card eventually. I don't have ehci anything.

Zgv worked fine on the P3 600MHz with S3 Trio3D. It did not work on the AMD K6/2 with Matrox card. It is not recognized in BL2 or BL3 - ls -l says it is there, but it won't run. -sh: zgv: not found. ldd can't find it either. Did you compile it to need a post-SW81 libc?

The Matrox card does not need chipset VESA. It works with the delilinux zgv in BL2, but with the zgv from your boot disk it displays vertical stripes (black, white, grey and blue, with some repeating pattern).

If you wanted to include e3 (9K) to edit a very short libvga.config (just to be able to add chipset VESA and post-VGA horiz sync and vert refresh) you could leave out:

1). The last three sections of rc (cd-rom, ppp, and ethernet support).
2). A few devices (audio, scd, ttyS0).
3). Compile a smaller busybox. Omit things like wget and ftpput and telnet.

Is there a 2K text editor?

I attempted to reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del and was told there is no /sbin/reboot. Inittab has lines about /sbin/reboot, /sbin/swapoff, /sbin/init, and they are actually in /bin so please rewrite inittab or make a symlink from sbin to bin, and I don't think there is a swapon so you don't need swapoff. I doubt that a computer new enough to have USB will need swap space to view even a 5 megapixel image with zgv.

There is no shutdown.

I typed reboot and was told there is no /sbin/swapoff, but it rebooted.

When I 'reboot' it does not automatically unmount the /hd and next time I boot I have to wait for it to be checked. I don't think this is required when I do Ctrl-Alt-Del in BL. Can umount /hd be added to inittab?

I was able to mount /fd and /hd without -t vfat, tho it still tells me it is not ext2. I notice you have insmodded all the modules automatically,
including fat and vfat and the ide modules.

I will try this tomorrow with the USB card reader. zgv is not essential and I can remember to umount /hd before reboot.

Do airport metal detectors mess up floppy disks?