baslinux - Re: [BL] word wrap editor

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] word wrap editor
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:29:18 -0800

On 11/15/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I don't know how to print with formatting in linux, just plain
> text, or pbm (netpbm) or pdf (ghostscript).

You need to produce a Postscript file and convert that to your
printer's language with something such as ghostscript.

> Abiword is a lot larger

Abiword will convert almost anything to Postscript for you, and
send it on to lpr if you wish.

> but works in BL3 out of the box with Xvesa (or in
> BL2 with regular X, or even with Xvesa if you add rgb.txt with added Black
> line).

I thought that was rxvt. Anyway, you also need some way to
tell X where the Abiword fonts are. You can either add it to the
X font path (by starting X with the -fp option) or use xset. The
Slackware 7.1 xset will not work with Xvesa, so if you choose
this route, you must first get the BL3 xset to work on BL2.

> For just plain linux editors without dosemu:
>
> PICO can be made to wordwrap if you install a larger version than Steven
> provided (which is actually Nano, with some features not working).

Tiny nano. It comes with BL2. Pine has the real PICO. You can
get it from SW40: n6/pine.tgz or SW71: n8/pine.tgz.

David