baslinux - Re: [BL] Use glibc2.3 binaries on BL3 (was: netpbm)

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Use glibc2.3 binaries on BL3 (was: netpbm)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:02:45 -0700

On 10/28/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, mikkel meinike wrote:
> > It needs to be a precompiled packages (thy needs PERL to compile and I
> > don't have PERL on my BL3)

Yes, the perl requirement is very annoying.

> > and netpbm is not part of SW as fare as I can see. so I don't know
> > where to get it.
>
> You can get the netpbm source code from sourceforge (it might be
> sourceforge.netpbm.org).

No Slackware package maker seems to be able to keep up with the large
number of source releases from the netpbm project.

> > basically I like BL3 the way it is and I wont to change as little as
> possible.
> > Also I am mostly satistfied with the netpbm packages that is in from
> > Sindi. The netpbm packages is organized in 3 parts. converters,
> > editors, and analyzers, with the converters I am satestfyed, analyzers
> > I need a tool for measuring i don't know if it is there, but then
> > there are some editors that apply some alagorithems to images,
> > pnmconvol, there is pnmdither, pnmcolormap, pnmgamma, pnmchannal
> > (maybe the names is wrong I am not checking now just remembering)
> > where this editors unable to compile ore run under lib5 ore where thy
> > left out fore saving space?
>
> David, did you compile all of the programs?

I ran make with the -k option (it skipped compiling anything which would
not build with libc5). There are probably many things that were left out.
Also, there have been several netpbm releases since that time, with many
new features/bugfixes.

> >> From discussion on the VL forum there is a change from SW9.1 to 10 they
> > call it a "completely different lib system".
>
> Is this as different as libc5 go libc6?

No.

What should we do about this situation? Obviously, a new netpbm package
would be useful. But how should it be compiled? If it is statically compiled,
a lot of space is wasted. If it is built against libc5, some useful
features will
be left out. If it is built against glibc, some users will need to update
their
libraries. Your thoughts? (what about uclibc?)

David