baslinux - Re: [BL] Use glibc2.3 binaries on BL3 (was: netpbm)

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Use glibc2.3 binaries on BL3 (was: netpbm)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:04:29 -0700

On 10/27/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, mikkel meinike wrote:
>
> > On 10/26/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> >
> >> What is eps?
> > eqripsulated (not ritht spell'ed) post script you need it for images
> > in groff ore latex. I think pnmtops would do but I don't know yet.

I don't know anything about this.

> > The netpbm packages that I have build on my VL4 (SL9 eqevevalent)
> > dependent on the following libs: (cheked with ldd)
> >
> > ld-2.3.1.so
> > ld-linux.so.2
> > lib.log
> > libc-2.3.1.so
> > libc.so.6
> > libm-2.3.1.so
> > libm.so.6
>
> These libraries are later than Slackware 8.1 (which is libc 2.2.5).

You may as well upgrade all the way to the latest version, since
glibc is mostly backward compatible.

> > As fare as I can see non of this libs is already in my BL3 there is a
> > libm.so.5 but I think the internal linking between packages should be
> > able to know the deference between libm.so.5 and libm.so.6

You are correct. Each program looks for the specific major version that
it was compiled for. (You can see this by looking at the output of ldd.)

>> so what I
> > think is that it should be possible to drop this libs into /lib with
> > out corrupting the rest of the system.

You will still be able to boot BL3 and fix it if you actually do break
something. Statically linked foundation.

> > This few libs don't take up
> > very much space (on floppy) so maybe I could make a packages that
> > other BL3 users could benefit from. What do you think? I have some
> > home pages but I don't know if it is possible just to upload a
> > packages to a homage and link to it and than others can download it do
> > you know about that?

I don't know. Is it very hard to get the packages another way? I thought that
you just needed to download a recent netpbm package, and the relevant
library packages from Slackware. Maybe 2-4 packages.

> If SW91 has these libraries, you could try installing the libc so package
> from that using the pkg command (which also makes the proper symlinks).
> Several of us have added a libc6 (from SW81 and maybe SW71) and it works.
> Libc5 and libc6 are stored in different places and you can use programs
> that require either one. It gets trickier if there are dependencies other
> than libc-related (which is what happens using the libc5 netpbm in BL2).

You can avoid all of that by using glibc2-based software after the upgrade.

> You can put packages on your home page. That is what I did. You might
> not even have to link to them, just provide the exact URL or the URL of
> the directory where they are located. But they will only work for people
> with this later library.

I thought he meant that he distribute both. There are lots of places to get
netpbm binaries for glibc2.3.2.

David