baslinux - Re: [BL] Use glibc2.3 binaries on BL3 (was: netpbm)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Use glibc2.3 binaries on BL3 (was: netpbm)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:48:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, mikkel meinike wrote:

He!

I don't know. Is it very hard to get the packages another way? I thought that
you just needed to download a recent netpbm package, and the relevant
library packages from Slackware. Maybe 2-4 packages.

hmm... I was only trying to make it the eyas way. The way I described
I used with mulinux and it worked but I see if I wont to put it out
for others than I have some kind of responsibility.

It needs to be a precompiled packages (thy needs PERL to compile and I
don't have PERL on my BL3) and netpbm is not part of SW as fare as I
can see. so I don't know where to get it.

You can get the netpbm source code from sourceforge (it might be sourceforge.netpbm.org).

basically I like BL3 the way it is and I wont to change as little as possible.
Also I am mostly satistfied with the netpbm packages that is in from
Sindi. The netpbm packages is organized in 3 parts. converters,
editors, and analyzers, with the converters I am satestfyed, analyzers
I need a tool for measuring i don't know if it is there, but then
there are some editors that apply some alagorithems to images,
pnmconvol, there is pnmdither, pnmcolormap, pnmgamma, pnmchannal
(maybe the names is wrong I am not checking now just remembering)
where this editors unable to compile ore run under lib5 ore where thy
left out fore saving space?

David, did you compile all of the programs?
My little packages were selections of programs I was using, but the larger libc5 package that Ron has just recently also mirrored contains everything that David compiled.

If SW91 has these libraries, you could try installing the libc so package
from that using the pkg command (which also makes the proper symlinks).
Several of us have added a libc6 (from SW81 and maybe SW71) and it works.
Libc5 and libc6 are stored in different places and you can use programs
that require either one. It gets trickier if there are dependencies other
than libc-related (which is what happens using the libc5 netpbm in BL2).

You can avoid all of that by using glibc2-based software after the upgrade.

Yes but I don't wont to upgrade my whole system if I can avoid that I
just wont the editors of the netpbm packages.

You will have a small problem if you have glibc2 (libc6) and libc5 programs that both require the same library. You will have to keep two copies (lib5 and libc6-based) on your computer and point your programs at the correct library. When I use netpbm with BL2, after adding libc5, I have to tell the libc5 netpbm program (I forget which one is it, there might be more than one) to use the older library (not libc5 itself, but another library compiled using it - it might be ncurses).

Much of BL3 is statically compiled. I think Steven is recommending that if you add libc6 to BL3, you replace the parts of it that depend on lib5 with their equivalents for libc6.

I tried installing the glibc package from the latest Slackware
and it refused to work on the BasicLinux foundation.

SW81 2.2.5 works. Did you try SW9.1? What IS the latest version now?

What do you think is causing the incompatibility?

From discussion on the VL forum there is a change from SW9.1 to 10 they
call it a "completely different lib system".

Is this as different as libc5 go libc6?

/Mikkel