baslinux - Re: [BL] Use glibc2.3 binaries on BL3 (was: netpbm)

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Use glibc2.3 binaries on BL3 (was: netpbm)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:51:49 -0700

On 10/27/05, 3aoo-cvfd wrote:
> David Moberg wrote:
> >
> > You may as well upgrade all the way to the latest version, since
> > glibc is mostly backward compatible.
>
> I tried installing the glibc package from the latest Slackware
> and it refused to work on the BasicLinux foundation.

I meant that it is mostly backward-compatible with programs compiled for older
glibc library versions, not with older versions of Linux.

[...]

On 10/27/05, sindi keesan wrote:
> > David Moberg wrote:
> >>
> >> You may as well upgrade all the way to the latest version, since
> >> glibc is mostly backward compatible.
> >
> > I tried installing the glibc package from the latest Slackware
> > and it refused to work on the BasicLinux foundation.
>
> SW81 2.2.5 works. Did you try SW9.1? What IS the latest version now?
>
> What do you think is causing the incompatibility?

Kernel, as Steven said. Recent binaries of glibc require versions of
Linux that are later than 2.2.16. I had forgotten about that.

> What is the status of whatever library you plan to use for the next BL?
> uClibC?

uClibc still seems somewhat unstable to me (and I think James said so, too).
You can monitor its status at <uclibc.org>. MPlayer has all kinds of bugs
with it, and several other programs need things which it does not provide
(but glibc does provide). It is still more compatible with 'modern' source
code
than libc5 is, however, and it is smaller.

David