baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:36:30 +1000

Hi David,

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:22:25 -0500
"David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com> wrote:

> > I have the codecs already installed in a Slackware9.1
> > partition, where they are used by mplayer that I compiled
> > dynamically from a full source package. All that it took was to
> > place the codecs into /usr/local/lib/codecs and mplayer knew where
> > to find them.
>
> Did you compile MPlayer before or after installing codecs? If the
> former, my MPlayer should work great. If the latter, you may be
> out of luck.

It won't compile if the codecs are not there.
Hmph ! I guess I am out of luck. :(

> > > I would have a look at the MPlayer documentation and see if
> > > it answers your questions about external codecs. The website
> > > for MPlayer is at <http://mplayerhq.hu/>.
> >
> > From memory, there is nothing in the man that indicates either way.
>
> I meant the HTML documentation on the MPlayer site. Sometimes the
> documentation can be bewildering (due to its size), but it has some
> useful information.

I might go and have a look another time.

> > My question was more about whether your static compilation had
> > altered that function. I have mirrored the codecs into BL2, but I
> > cannot tell if those codecs are being accessed or not.
>
> The static compiling shouldn't affect this. The codecs are statically
> compiled for your specific platform (Linux i386). It's more of a question
> of whether the MPlayer code itself has actually been configured to
> look for the codecs, which I am not sure of.

Well, I might just leave well enough alone. Mplayer3 is running in BL2
and BL3 and is able to cope with most video forms, and can certainly play
mp3s and oggs. If I need anything more fancy that that, I still have
RealPlayer, QV, MTV, Xanim and Xine in BL2, and Gxine and MPlayer in SW9.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke