baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: Stephen Clement <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 00:04:45 -0400

David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

Would the Nvidia server be faster than SVGA or Xvesa?

Some day I will try it if I don't have to compile it first. Xvesa is adequate.

OK. If you're ever interested, here is a link to XFree86 4.4.0
binaries for glibc 2.1 (BL2):
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.4.0/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc21/

If you browse around, you'll also find sources and binaries for
different versions and platforms (earlier versions of X are
available for libc5, even)

4.4.0 is most likely to support the hardware acceleration of your
video chip. 4.4.0 also has the -configure option, which detects your
hardware and makes a /root/XF86Config.new file, which you can then edit
and move to /etc/XF86Config. There is no need for XF86Config. The main
downside: 4.4.0 is big. It is modular, though, so you can remove the
modules and binaries which you do not need.

I use 4.4.0 with NVidia acceleration on this computer (desktop one, non-basiclinux).

--snip here--=

-ao sdl is just a different way of sending audio
to OSS in MPlayer #3.

To fix bugs?

Yes. SDL is a little less demanding of the sound driver than MPlayer's
OSS output.

I've found that too.

--snip--

MPlayer is adept at .mpg files. You should have no trouble at all with
them. Earlier AVI codecs like Cinepak and Indeo 3.1/3.2 are also well-
supported. I have had success with .asf files, but I don't think all of
them will work with the standard codecs.

I will look for these. #3 plays oggs too, just tested.

Stephen Clement has an MPG at his FTP site. I don't know what it's there
for (it's some kind of home video of various New York landmarks), but it
is an acceptable test.

It's a video from one of my friend's trips to New York. Has crappy sound and decent video, uses pretty standard codecs so it should be a decent test. Not too big, either.

David

Stephen Clement