baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:44:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I tested the first mplayer (for PII or later) and the third version
> (for any pentium) on a chiropractic video clip from
> www.chironhealth.com said to be 1 min long. It had no sound and it
> was .rm (realmedia) format. (It took me five minutes to find a
> non-porno clip and I had to search on video clip instead of free
> download mpg!). Both players played it in 24 seconds from start to
> finish. It was less boring at this speed.
>
> This was a very small, low-quality clip, 398K. Is it a conclusive
> enough test that we can all drop the first two versions now?

Probably not, but when you combine it with other observations, you
can make the conclusion that #3 is superior or equal to #1 and #2
in every way. I've dropped the first two. Everyone else probably
can, too.

> I ran across various Windows programs that convert between formats.

mencoder (which comes with MPlayer) does that job.

> Is there a native linux video format?

Not really. Ogg Theora (with Vorbis audio) is mainly used on Linux,
but it's far from popular. MPEG is mostly platform-independent. AVI
originated on Windows, MOV on Macs, and of course there are all of
the proprietary A/V formats (RM, ASF, WMV)

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com