baslinux - Re: Weather report (was: [BL] MPlayer)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Weather report (was: [BL] MPlayer)
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 04:04:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 11 May 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I've not been following this thread until now,
but I've just read through the old messages and
I'm a little perplexed. It appears we had a
version of Mplayer (mplayer.tar.gz) that worked
well on some systems. But it has now been replaced
by a version (mplayer.tgz) that has problems on
every system?

The first version needs i686 to work at all. A K6 350 did not work but I am told a Pentium Pro 200 should work.

The second version works with i386 if it has a newer kernel and ALSA but not with 2.2.16 and OSS. But it can convert other formats to .wav, which you can then play with sox. David wrote a script to combine the conversion and the playing features which I posted as 'mplay'.

mplay URL - plays an mp3 if you give it the URL (extracted from .pls or .m3u file).

Stephen wrote up a script to extract the URLS for realplayer, mp3, and wma links, but they won't work on all of them because of the wide variety of formats. Some links have two URLs, some none, some appear to have scrambled them somehow.

David then tried to compile the first version for i386 (or actually I think it recognizes your cpu and adjusts itself somehow) but his compiler is broken so we are making the best of the second version, which converts but does not play on BL.

Perhaps I'm confused?
No more than I am but I am having fun with this.