baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 03:46:27 +0000 (UTC)

I went looking for OGG stations and found:
http://rikkus.inf/ogg_vorbis_stations.html
with links to a small number of stations which use OGG.

WCPE broadcasts in OGG at a lower bitrate than their MP3 but the rickus site said it sounded like AM radio while the MP3 was unlistenable.

Radio Akropolis sends out 32K or better from Prague in OGG and other formats. I looked at their .m3u file for OGG and it consists ONLY of:

http://radioakropolis.cz:800/low.ogg

The mp3 .m3u consists only of the URL too --- /low.

Their WMA .m3u does not contain any URL at all. I have run into others like this, but I also did listen to a WMA file somewhere.

So I could not try Stephen's script here.

I then tried the link to CBC, which was excellent in that it explained how to listen to OGG in Mac, Win98, and Unix. They tested using Mplayer 2.66 with Gentoo and FreeBSD and have a link to it and also Xine, but I could not find the actual URL for listening so could not try the script here.

http://www.cbc.ca/listen gives you info on how to listen.

I will attempt to use the latest two scripts (for extracting URLs and for plugging them into the script to play via sox) at an MP3 or Realaudio site tomorrow. It is certainly more educational and fun to combine three scripts like this to listen to streaming audio with lynx than to use Realaudio, it takes up much less space and loading time, and it eventually might even be easier.