baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 03:15:24 +0000 (UTC)

I've figured out that MPlayer only needs the fg junk if it is sent
to the background. Sox doesn't have this problem. So, here is the
updated script:

#!/bin/sh
mkfifo /tmp/audiodump.wav
play /tmp/audiodump.wav &
exec real_mplayer -ao pcm -aofile /tmp/audiodump.wav "$@"

# End of script

I named the script 'mplay'. Apart from telling me that /tmp/audiodump.wav already exists (I should take this line out, I think) it works perfectly with no error messages other than the usual ones about missing files.

See the real_mplayer? I think that for convenience you may want to
rename /usr/local/bin/mplayer to /usr/local/bin/real_mplayer, then
put the above script into /usr/local/bin/mplayer. chmod +x. You
should then be able to merely run:

mplayer http://www.foobar.com/radio/music.mp3

and get sound. You can also add options directly to the command
line, since I used the "$@" tag. All you need is a writable /tmp
directory to put the audiodump file in.

David
--

The reason my mann script could not find the mplayer man page is that it was mplayer.1 and the script looks for .gz files, so I gzipped it. It is in /usr/local/man/man1.

I notice that all the commands to go forward and backward etc look the same when viewed via man2html and lynx (my mann script), as superscript s (or a small s, anyway). I looked with zless and saw <\- and \-> and < > etc, which are not proper html. So man2html has its deficiencies.

I then found your BL3 plain text (with bold) version, which is /usr/man/mplayer.gz (not a terribly conventional-looking location - the other things in there are directories) and can read that just fine. How does one convert a man page to this format? The man-format one is 52K vs 63K for the text version.

It will be great to be able to skip past the warning messages in a DVD movie, and to see the second feature, but can I actually use the above script to play DVD sound which is synchronized with the DVD video?

If not, no big deal. We must have ONE computer out of the three newest ones that will work with your i686 mplayer. Let me know if I need an actual Intel cpu.

Why is mplayer telling me 'No bind found for key F3