baslinux - Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:14:31 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I have libz.a and can get libpng.a from some SW package (where I
> got libpng.so for links2). What is lib*_p.a?

I believe it's a profiled version. Only useful if you're trying to
figure out what part of a program gets used the most (which usually
means it's slowing everything down).

> I have far too much added to BL2 to want to reinstall it. I
> utterly botched it once already trying to use glibc-so.2.2.5 with
> the main glibc 2.1.3 for compiling with. All sorts of things
> stopped working, including ar and the compiler. I had to start
> over. I wanted to use opera with 2.2.5 but keep compiling with
> 2.1.3 so others could use the results. I tried to downgrade back
> to 2.1.3 and could not manage that properly either.

You can always run a ramdisk version.

> I will put the png and tiff programs in a separate package for BL3
> and warn people that they may have problems in BL2 if they already
> have (or later add) a libpng or libtiff of the same version number
> or earlier. I might suggest sticking the libc5 libraries in
> /usr/local/lib and pointing programs at them in /etc/profile.

Pointing programs at them in /etc/profile??

> >> Do I repeat this line for pnmtotiff or list both on one line?
> >
> > This runs tifftopnm with libraries from /usr/local/lib. You obviously
> > need to change it to choose options or run a different programs.
> >
> >> In /etc/profile?
> >
> > That will try to run every single program with libraries from
> > /usr/local/lib,
> > which is just like copying everything from there to /usr/lib. Back to
> > square
> > one, as I said.
>
> I thought it would run just tifftopnm with /usr/local/lib
> libraries.

ld.so looks for libraries in whichever directory is selected by
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Exporting this is probably not what you want to
do, as then every program will look there.

> So for tifftopnm, pnmtotiff, pngtopnm and pnmtopng I
> would put four such lines (each with a different program at the
> end) WHERE if not /etc/profile?

You enter it in at the command line when you want to run the program
in question. Don't put it in a configuration file.

> I don't know what EXPORT does
> other than choose non-default devices, and that is the only thing I
> know how to change in /etc/profile.
>
> export GS_DEVICE=vgalib
> export CDDA_DEVICE=/dev/hdc.

export sets environment variables. It's just like the set command from
DOS.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com