baslinux - Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:26:20 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > ---...---
> >
> >> Mplayer looked like it had 25MB of dependencies. How big is your
> >> static version?
> >
> > 5MB uncompressed.
>
> How did you get it this small, dietlibc? uClibc? Amazing.

I tried uClibc first, but I wanted X11 support and MPlayer didn't
like the uClibc X libraries. So I moved the source over to a full-size
Linux with glibc-2.2.5 and compiled it there. If it weren't static
there would be around 20 libraries you'd need.

> I would be interested to try it - much smaller than Realaudio or
> even Opera. We even have a DVD drive that we have not found any
> use for.
> I bet other list users would also appreciate your posting it.

If I ever get around to uploading it...

> > [SDF $10/month network access]
> >> Are you SURE this is access to something other than just sdf itself?
> >
> > I'm sure. From the SDF site:
> > "SDF provides dialup PPP (network)...access"
> > "To find numbers in your area, type 'dialup' at the shell."
>
> This is wrong - type 'getdialup' followed by the area code.

Someone should tell them to update the directions. It looks like James'
message was sent before mine with almost exactly the same content...

> He is used to listening to his tapes sounding like 'The Munkeys'.
>

> > mpg123 -d 2 stream.mp3
>
> This probably cuts quality in half as well as going faster.

Talking faster always cuts the clarity of words. Something has
to give.

> I have not used cdparanoia but I think it came in the same package
> as cdda2wav. Will try it some time on a library 'Book on CD'.
>
> I will read about it. I have only used it to get files from music
> CD that I can burn to a copy. There is some way to play the wav
> file while ripping it, with a switch.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com