baslinux - Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:52:21 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

I'm combining several replies here so bear with me please. All of
these replies are on the same general subject (building a kernel
with modules)

> I still don't know what corresponds to soundcore.o or uart401.o,
> even assuming lowlevel is soundlow.o. Help?

CONFIG_SOUND=soundcore
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=sound
uart401 should come with the SB driver, if not then enable
CONFIG_SOUND_MPU401. Note the warning in the documentation for
CONFIG_SOUND_MPU401 regarding usage with the SB16.

> Does slhc.o correspond to something I should configure?

You need it for kernel-mode PPP and SLIP connections, as it's the
basic building block for the two.

<---earlier message--->

> The sb.o module was I think supposed to make sound devices and did
> not (I had to mknod various dsp and audio devices)

You have to make devices unless you use devfs (a can of worms in itself
IMO).

> I took your advice and made everything possible as modules except ppp
> (which I use all the time) and cd-rom support.

Some things work much better if they're in the kernel at boot time, such
as the serial driver (if you're using a serial console) and ISAPNP (devices
are autodetected).

> but I will have to redo after hand-editing .config

Good luck. I always use the configuration tools, as hand-editing may cause
problems with configuration dependencies.

> I did not compile to support mdacon.o but it works as a module anyway
> in BL2 and BL3. Why?

Some modules are compatible between different kernels. Your mileage may
vary drastically, as other modules may spit out pages of unresolved
symbols on insertion, force a kernel panic, or worse.

<---earlier--->

> Do I really need to 'make dep'?

Only for your first configuration, or after a drastic change.

David