baslinux - Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:01:15 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I did not get my scsi scanner working with scsi_mod and sg.

Could you send raw data to it through the device file? Or did
the driver simply not detect the scanner?

> So I don't really need a scsi kernel, like you said, if I can figure
> out what is missing to make the scanner work.

Some modules are that way. Beware, though, not all modules can be inserted
in kernels with different configurations.

> scsi_mod, sg, and aic7xxx ought to do it, but maybe the order is
> important?

scsi_mod should go first. sg and aic7xxx are likely interchangeable.

> Is the zip drive treated as a hard drive? Someone told me in DOS
> it is treated as a floppy drive (but assigned a letter following
> anything IDE).

It would probably be treated like a removable hard drive, since you
can't format a zip disk like a floppy.

> If I have lots of RAM, is there any particular advantage to loading
> the five scsi modules rather than compiling into the kernel, for
> things I don't use often such as zip drive, scanner, and cd burner?
>
> If I load the modules I can rmmod them in case I need to use that
> IRQ (for sb and aic7xxx). Can I do something similar if they are
> in the kernel?

No. Is that a good enough reason for using modules?

> Any reason NOT to compile with slhc, ppp, parport, parport_pc, lp,
> the sound modules, and the scsi modules (other than sb and
> aic7xxx)? They don't seem to require interrupts when not in use.
> Nor does ethernet until I run ifconfig.

I can't think of a good reason to not compile with those modules.

> For 24MB RAM should I stick to modules for everything? That
> computer is used mostly for writing scripts this year.

My strategy is to make everything a module, except for what is
needed to boot the kernel and load the modules.

David