baslinux - Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:18:54 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> It is not at all clear what is being recommended since sometimes
> when configuring you see N/y/m but the help file recommends Y. This
> time I erred on the safe side and included most things they
> recommended.

The default does not always agree with what is recommended.

> How do I tell what rate the SB16 files were sampled at?

Try the file command to get a description of the files. Please
post the output here if it doesn't produce a sampling rate.

> >> What exactly happens to the kernel when you tell it, for
> >> instance, to let you use the sound.o module?
> >
> > When you insmod? Or when you select =m from configuration and then make?
> When you configure and make, having told it to use a module later.

Mkdep and gcc combine to process the configuration file. If something like
sound.o is set to M, then mkdep looks up all the dependencies and makes sure
that they're either in the kernel or among the modules to be built. When you
run make, gcc compiles everything and puts it in the kernel.

> Another major victory for me - I could not have done it without the
> support. I will try this kernel with the scsi scanner and zip
> drive next. (Or maybe redo my scrambled DOS drive).

That's great to hear. I was going to answer the thread about vfat, but it
looks
like Steven's already covered it. I'm getting more confused about vfat
myself, as
I always thought that it was FAT32, and not just long filenames. Oh well.

David