baslinux - Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:39:48 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> >> Do I need (in order to have sda4 as a block device):
> >> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
>
> Is this the equivalent of insmod scsi_mod and if not, what is?

Nope, if you set this to M you get sd_mod.o. The equivalent of
scsi_mod.o is CONFIG_SCSI.

BTW, my previous posting neglected to mention that you can build
the whole SCSI driver system as (a) module(s).

> what else do I need to configure?

Whatever drivers you need for the devices you want to use. Like Steven
said, it's a good idea to read the Linux configuration documentation.

> I found in the aic7xxx.s kerneL;
> CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SR=y (instead of sr_mod.o?)
> CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y (instead of sg.o?)

Uh-huh.

> (I used these two for scsi emulation with the cd burner - do I also need
> them for real scsi? I have been using bare.i for scsi emulation so
> that I can listen to the .wav files made with cdda2wav, but I think
> the BL2 kernel also worked for it with three scsi modules plus
> ide-scsi.)

You only need SR if you want to use a CD/DVD drive/burner attached via
SCSI, ATAPI/IDE-SCSI emulation, or USB. SG is for anything on those busses
which are not a hard, floppy, flash, or tape drive. You need it for burning
CDs (but you don't need it to read CDs or DVDs) and for scanners or
synthesizers (!).

> CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=y I probably need this instead of
> aic7xxx.o
> CONFIG_AIC7XXX_CMOS_PER_DEVICE=8 these lines too?
> CONFIG_AIC7XX_CMOS_RESET_DELAY=5

The first line enables the AIC7XXX. It looks like you want that. The last
two are configuration options for that driver. The defaults should work
fine.

> Do I need all of this? Or anything else not in the BL2 kernel?

See above.

> Why are some scsi devices sga (scanner?), some sda4 (zip), some sr0
> (cd burner, I think)? I never used anything scsi until recently,
> these three devices.

Different devices have different interfaces (best explanation I could
come up with).

David