baslinux - Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:44:34 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> But if I boot with the BL2 kernel then insmod scsi_mod sr_mod sg
> and aic7xxx (with drive plugged in etc.) I don't get any message
> about finding sda4, and if i try to mount it 'The kernel does not
> recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device (maybe 'insmod driver'?).

The BL2 kernel is not configured for SCSI. Even if you load the right
modules, apparently the base kernel doesn't know how to handle the
SCSI device files.

> What would I need to change in the BL2 kernel .config to produce a
> kernel that works with this scsi card?

Add SCSI support (even if you build this as a module, you'll still
need to build/use the new kernel with SCSI support compiled in) and
also add support for the drives/SCSI boards you will be using.

> Or what else would I need to do to use the BL2 kernel, besides
> load the above four modules? Am I missing some driver?

> The Zip drive HOWTO assumes you are going to be recompiling the
> kernel, not using modules. Can it be done with the BL2 kernel
> and modules?

I don't think it is possible to make SCSI work on the BL2 kernel.

Good luck with your kernel config: building the kernel is only half
the battle. I can't remember how many times I've made a kernel and
discovered it lacked support for something I wanted.:(

David