baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux does it better

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux does it better
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 02:27:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

BL4 is more likely to be based on uClibc.

For what target hardware?

Same hardware: 486DX and early Pentium.

uClibc is smaller, faster and more compatible
with current software than libc5 and early glibc2.
Combined with the latest 2.2 kernel (and updated
modules), it should provide a better platform
than the current BL3.

Does this mean it will work with programs requiring glibc2.2.5 (like precompiled xpdf or Opera 7.23?). Would you also provide a kernel 2.4 for hardware that is not properly supported by 2.2 (there are no modules for it for 2.2, or they don't work right)? I suppose I ought to try this myself some time soon.

The biggest advantage with libc5 (used in BL3) is
the wealth of software available from Slackware 3
and 4. A switch to uClib would lose all that, but
it should make it easier for us to compile current
software from source code.