baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux does it better

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux does it better
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:34:13 +0000 (UTC)

I also would really like to have the option
of using speech-to-text software (like Dragon Naturally Speaking) since I
need to write long papers at times and typing can create a bottle-neck.
Ironically, IBM produced a very capable speech recognition package for
Linux. But they stopped development and no longer make it available for
download. Bootleg copies can still be gotten. So, if I want to have this
speech-to-text software and remain within legal/ethical boundaries, I
would have to use Windows. I wish this weren't the case. But for some
fields, like higher level studies in the humanities, Linux just doesn't
provide everything needed. Sad but true.

James

See http://linux-sound.org/speech.htm for links to a few speech recognition (text to speech) projects including one that seems to be somewhat usable already called ISIP http://www.isip.msstate.edu/projects/speech/software/index.htm

The requirements for the previous prototype were 500MHz 128MB RAM 256MB swap and gcc 3.2 (later compilers have a bug). The latest prototype now wants 256MB RAM and 512K swap space.

Works with linux and there is even a Windows port (which I did not manage to track down).

You need to train the program to recognize your speech.

There are also links to several text to speech programs (synthesizers).