baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: dlormand AT aztecfreenet.org (DAVID L. ORMAND)
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:05:55 -0700 (MST)

> Is anyone in this group still actually using a
> non-laptop 486?

Just to say so, I've got several desktop and tower '386es and '486es
that are being prepped to serve in "embedded" tasks. DOS can probably
do everything that Linux can in these cases, but not as flexibly and
crash-proof. I'm very grateful for a linux that will work on these
machines. Keep up the great work!

That said, it used to be true that '386es and '486es were "throw-away"
computers that could be had for free or practically free. Now, '386
machines are practically extinct, and '486es are rare. Unfortunately,
while the old machines often came in very small desktop packages, the
thrift-store pentiums only come in large desktop or tower cases. Not
quite so useful.