baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: Mr Christopher Rose <mrchrisrose AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:40:33 -0800 (PST)

Thankfully my laptop (as far as the system bios is
concerned) is a 486-DX. I just happen to have an
AMD-X-5 chip vice an actual Intel 486. Looking at the
bottom of my laptop, it is quite obvious that the AMD
chip is not the original processor, as part of the
casing has been cut away to make space for the AMD
chip. My guess is that the original Intel chip was
removed sometime before I bought it from the thrift
shop for $8.00, but since it does work, I am fine with
it. Now then, I have installed the zimage.4dx kernel
and it works quite well. Indeed, my laptop seems to
boot a little quicker (my perception, may still
actually be booting at same speed). I have also
noticed that lincity and the spread sheet program work
better. My only concern is library files. I would like
to update the library so I can use xpdf and perhaps a
couple of other small utilities. I am going to
checkout the slackware 4.0 packages and see if I can't
find the library files I will need.

Pax,
Christopher