baslinux - Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:05:01 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> does removing files from a ramdisk not maked it use less ram?

I'm not sure. I'm think an empty ramdisk uses
minimal ram with a 2.2 kernel. But I'm not sure
that still applies when you fill the ramdisk and
then delete it. You might have to zero the ramdisk
to reclaim the space.

> I did not know a kernel could use ramdisk as working ram.

Not the ramdisk itself. The ram that is allocated to
the ramdisk (but is currently unoccupied).

> Our 2400 bps pcmcia modem in a faster 486 was able to
> make a connection to the ISP. The 2400 bps internal
> modem in this slower 486 was not (I tried three times).
> Why?

Some ISPs have a minimum connect speed and refuse anything
slower. It is possible that your pcmcia modem does
compression, thereby tripling the effective speed.

> Does the computer speed affect this?

Not with a 2400 modem. The bottleneck is the modem.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru